MINIX NEO Series > MINIX NEO X5
MINIX NEO X5 Video Review
Revolutionary Smart Media HubThe NEO X5 is MINIX's original Android Media Hub, based on a Dual-Core ARM Cortex-A9 processor and Quad-Core Mali-400 GPU . First released in September 2012, the NEO X5 immediately became one of the most popular and well respected devices on the market. It set a precedent for delivering an Android powered media hub with quality hardware and an optimum amount of connectivity.
ConnectivityThe NEO X5 has an extensive array of connectivity ports - including 3 USB ports + 1 OTG port, which allows you to plug in a conventional mouse and keyboard to use with the device. Alternatively, the NEO X5 is equipped with Bluetooth 4.0 for those wishing to use wireless keyboards and mouses. The NEO X5 also comes with Ethernet and Wi-Fi connectivity; allowing you to share media content, such as videos, music, photos, across devices on the same network.
1000s of Apps Available ...All major Google apps come pre-installed on the NEO X5 - Google Chrome, Gmail, Google Maps, Google Music etc...1000s of other apps available to download for free from the Google Play Store, including Netflix, Spotify, Facebook, Twitter and many more.
Limitless PossibilitiesInitially the NEO X5 came pre-installed with Android 4.1.1 OS, however we have since released an array of firmware updates and now the device comes pre-installed with Android 4.2.2 OS as standard. The update to Android 4.2.2 OS has meant the NEO X5 now includes Wi-Fi Display and AirPin PRO, enabling you to share media content, such as videos, music, photos, between your smartphone, tablet or laptop and your TV.
Full High-Definition Video PlaybackThe NEO X5 is an immensely powerful device capable of browsing the web, Skype calling, playing Android games, and video playback in full 1080p HD - whether streaming online or playing content from your external hard drive (attached via the USB port). Though its been available for over one year now, the NEO X5 remains to be a popular choice among Android enthusiasts, delivering an excellent performance for those looking to stream media content using apps such as Netflix or Spotify.
MINIX NEO X5 Firmware Upgrade Procedure
All existing data will be deleted! Backup!
1. Download Firmware and unpack
2. Turn on the MINIX NEO X5 and connect it via the OTG port with the computer
3. On the back is a small button called “RECOVER. Press down gently using a paper clip (you can feel a distinct resistance)
4. Turn on the device while holding the RECOVER button and release after 5 to 7 seconds
5. Now Windows will try to install the driver, but will fail. In the Device Manager is now an unknown device. Install the appropriate drivers from the “Driver” folder manually (depending on your operating system 32/64 bit version)
6. Open the RKBatchTool… You should see a pink or green button. If it’s pink start over from 2.-4.
7. If the dot is green, RKBatchTool has detected the X5 and you can select the .img file from the firmware folder (neo_x5.img).
8. Press “Restore” (NOT: “Upgrade”!).
9. The NEO X5 will restart after the successful firmware upgrade. This takes 6-8min… Please be patient
10. The new FW should now be installed, and the process is complete.
AnTuTu Benchmark v3.3.2 Score:
What's in the box
- MINIX NEO X5 x 1
- MINIX remote x 1
- 5V Power adapter x 1
- OTG cable x 1
- HDMI cable x 1
- Setup guide x 1
MINIX NEO X5 Awarded Silver by GadgetGear.NLhttp://www.gadgetgear.nl/2013/08/review-minix-neo-x5-settop-box/
MINIX NEO X5 Spec Sheet available to download from - http://www.minix.com.hk/Support.htm